List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: need help w/ kdelib b4-1 on solaris
From:       James Martino <jrm () yardbird ! mat ! jhu ! edu>
Date:       1998-05-30 3:05:08

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Alberto Brealey Guzman wrote:
>On Fri, 29 May 1998, Peter Lees - SE wrote:
>
>> g'day
>>
>> i'm having some problems compiling kdelib b4-1 on solaris 2.6
>> (sparc) with the sun workshop c and c++ 4.2:
>>
>sun compilers are really a pain....
>
>> this is my first attempt at KDE, so i'm not sure what to expect.
>> i presume someone has got this working, so i'd love to hear what
>> they did.
>>

>i got it working (under solaris 2.5.1) by using the GNU tools (gmake,
>gcc/g++, autoconfig, automake...). from what i've heard, KDE/Solaris works
>only when you use GNU tools (or do a pretty big code hack)...
>
>> cheers

>alberto

I did get the basic stuff  (kdebase) in Beta3 to compile using native tools with
Solaris 2.54; however, some slight "adjusting" was required. The changes were
obvious enough so that someone without any C++ experience (me) could figure out
what the corrections should be. Some of Peter's errors looked like the kind
which could be fixed by getting rid of some "=0" assignments in arguments to
functions.

I was unable to get kmail or anything else useful outside of the basic package
to work though. I was able to hack viciously at kmail to get a compile, but all
it does is look pretty (and dump core if I open a composer window).

We are looking forward to a new Solaris box soon, with gnu compiler and tools. I
don't expect to try any more native compiling experiments!

Jim