List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: "segmentation fault in io subprocess
From:       deas () dont ! spam ! me ! uni-hamburg ! de (Andreas Steffan)
Date:       1998-04-18 13:08:40

In article <000f01bd6456$b5880fc0$4c7165c3@athena.sillage.com>,
	"Benoit Lardy" <benoit.lardy@sillage.fr> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have install Redhat 5.0, Glibc6 and the KDE who comes with the Redhat
> Powertool (CD infomagic n°5).
>
> When I start KDE, I have the message "segmentation fault in io subprocess"
>
> Why ? What could I do ?

I found this behaviour (kfm /kioslave coredumping) when kioslave
encouters broken symbolic links (links pointing to non-existant files).
This problem is glibc-related, but no bug in glibc, and it is fixed in
CVS and recent snapshots.
The following command will find the offending links (on a glibc-system
only, since stat is broken in libc5)

find / -xtype l

You can run

find / -xtype l -exec rm {} \;

to get rid of them. (Don't do that on a libc5 system ! It'll delete
all you symlinks.)
--

                      Regards Andreas

|Andreas Steffan              Email: deas@uni-hamburg.de    |
|Hamburg, Germany             Phone: 040/60671180           |
|                             Fax:   040/60679767           |