List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Patches and CVS
From:       deas () me ! rrz ! uni-hamburg ! de (Andreas Steffan)
Date:       1998-02-27 19:13:05

In article <34EEFF05.4AEB6392@floej5.kkhs.dk>,

> I have downloaded KDE beta3, and installed it (along with Qt). It works
> fine, no problem. What I think diffs are, is some kind of upgrade, and my
> question was, how do I do it. Since I'm very limited on bandwith, I didn't
> want to download anything before I knew.
> What I think I should do is: Download ALL the diffs, and start applying
> them one by one on the source code. Is this somewhat right?

Yes, right.

> And how do I  apply the diffs?

If you really want to be that up to date, the diffs (and appropriate
tar.bz2's) are what you need. You can subscribe to kde-patches to
get them daily via email. Unfortunately, the patches I lately receive
are all corrupt, so it is not the best time to subscribe
now.
I have written a small package of perl-scripts kupgrade to automate
the process for this kind of upgrading (amongst some other related
things like compiling etc.).
kupgrade-980130 has some little bugs, but since noone seems to
be interested, I'm hesitating to upload a new version.
I'll can send you the latest version, which works quite well for me
via mail if youre interested.
--

                      Regards Andreas

|Andreas Steffan              Email: deas@rrz.uni-hamburg.de|
|Hamburg, Germany             Phone: 040/60671180           |
|                             Fax:   040/60679767           |