List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kdm
From:       David A Davidson <ddavidso () netcom ! ca>
Date:       1998-01-31 21:10:15

On 31 Jan, Alec Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I just started using KDE a couple days ago, and it's wonderful.  I've
> only had one major problem thus far.  I'm trying to get KDM working; It
> starts up fine, and I can log in as well, but when I log out KDM doesn't
> reappear; instead, I end up at a virtual terminal login prompt.  If I do
> a "ps -ax" KDM is still there (has restarted), but I can't get to it
> (using Alt-F*).  If I kill the KDM process, it restarts and I get back
> to the KDM login screen.  My relevant inittab section is:

 	x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -kdedir /opt/kde -nodaemon

This is a known problem with kdm. It seg faults after the first
logon/logoff session. Hopefully this will be fixed in the forthcoming
Beta3. Perhaps the developers/maintainers of KDE can publish the current
bugs and post them as an erratta much like Redhat does on the install
list server. This would help many new users to KDE who aren't sure
whether or not a problem has been documented. Again perhaps publishing
a URL for problem documentation at the end of every message on the
mailing list, similar to a signature.

> If I just use xdm instead of KDM, everything works fine.  Also, where
> can I find an example .xsession, so that I can find out how to set up
> different logon options (i.e. kdm, fvwm, fvwm95). BTW, I'm using
> Caldera, in case that has some effect.
>
> 					Thanks,
> 					 Alec

I believe you simply need to copy  your .xinitrc to .xsession for it to
work.?
--

David A Davidson <ddavidso@netcom.ca>
HAM RADIO - VA3DAD <va3dad@unix.ve3uow.uwaterloo.ca>

Micro$oft Corporation, 1 The Only Way (ours), Redmond Washington
The Information Superhighway (AKA "The Road Ahead"), use to be called
the freeway, now the freeway is a path of road blocks, dead ends and
tollways. Now there's only a one way street thanks to the folks in Redmond.