List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Newbie to KDE - OpenLinux
From:       Joseph <noreturn () mail ! haha>
Date:       1996-11-27 15:48:14

David Vella wrote:

> Hi People
>
> I am a newbie on Linux and KDE and today i joind the mailing list. I run
> OpenLinux Lite by Caldera and I am trying to install KDE on it. The prob is
> that even if i follow instructions i arrive tell the export command and
> then stop. THe prob is that after following the instructions to edit
> .xinitrc in my hoem dir (i.e. /root) i cannot fing the .xinitrc and
> X11(caldera) works fine ?? anyone can help me pls ??
>
> regards and thanx
>
> david

  Hello,  I too am new to linux and found my self struggling to get kde
working.  I
found that this news good is best when you have kde running.  The following is

what I did.  Using an editor such as vim goto your home dir (i.e. /root) and
make the file .xinitrc and in it add   startkde   ONLY.  Then you need to
change the permissions
on that file by typing   chmod 755 .xinitrc   .  You also have a file called
.Xclients.
Make a backup copy of that file by typing   cp .Xclients .Xclients-orgin
.
Next type the command  rm .Xclients  ,  then  tpye  cp .xinitrc .Xclients
.  Now
you need to make sure that your .bash_profile has the proper path statements.
The
following  lines are an example of my .bash_profile , where /opt/kde is the
location of
the kde files.

########################

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/opt/kde:/opt/kde/bin
ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
USERNAME="root"
KDEDIR=/opt/kde

export USERNAME ENV PATH KDEDIR

########################

One filial step.  Make sure that your /etc/ld.so.conf has /opt/kde/lib in it,
or at least
the location of the kde lib's.  Now you should be able to type startx and
enter kde.

Here's a tip:  If your using a 2 meg video card try the following script.
Goto the
/usr/local/bin directory and using vim make a file called win , then enter the
following
lines:

#!/bin/sh
startx -- :$* -bpp 16

Next you need to  to change the permissions on that file by typing   chmod 755
win. Now instead of typing startx just use win.
Well I hope that helps you.  Good Luck and have fun.

Joseph
khless@ix.netcom.com