List:       kde-user
Subject:    kdinst.hlp
From:       "as signed" <SevenSeas () ibm ! net>
Date:       1997-10-31 12:46:08

Any reference to single gender is purely accidental and in no way intended to \
prejudice on the basis of sex  regardless of the fact that the document originated at \
or near the NorthEastern School of Obedience for Women.

No one owes me anything for this writ.   Done it to help myself, being just another \
11-fingered Linux newbie  (PengLing as in DuckLing without an F} but if you find it \
THAT helpful, send me $500,000.  And if you should be of  such mortals who have never \
compiled before {some would have us believe they were born compiling and one may  \
well believe 'compiled'} then this should give you good compiling experience if using \
slakwar-3.4.  Donno how it may  apply to other distributions.  Developers are welcome \
to adapt it or to steal from it which they do all the time anyway.

I make no apology for the tone or the color; it is the primary teaching/showing  tool \
to facilitate QUICK mental  associations. So is letting off 50 megatonnes between the \
monitor and the keyboard but that could also be argued as  being almost \
counterproductive. A good textbook doesn't need to be understood, only read, and only \
once.... except  for the reference section to be made of stainless steel.  I also \
follow the top-down approach as it is another DotHlp  type of thingie.  You show \
someone a picture then give him/her a million scrambled pixels. Sooner or later the \
picture  will be recreated...  THAT is part of the human miracle.  But if you instead \
give someone a million scrambled pixels  without showing any picture {bottom-up \
approach}, then the only thing you're going to prove is that you're better at  \
bragging about how much you don't know than at teaching fish how to swim.  Speaking \
of which, future docsters  remember this: making it 'easy' is a proverbial artform:

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day;  but teach him how to fish and he'll sit \
on the beach drinking beer for a  month".

Criticism is a Darwinian engine and promotes the natural selection of species \
including penguins.

IF 	you have a better way
	Write a better doc
ELSE
	lay 200 miles between you and the spot halway to your monitor
END {IF too}

So, by way of a heads-up for top-down people here's what will.. rephrase.. MAY \
transpire:

1
the ./configure and make commands will construct the setup files in the directories \
they unpacked into; namely and  hopefully under /usr/local/kde on a package/package \
basis. This is equivalent to whatever method you may have  been familiar with using \
other OSes, such as for 'setup'  sub-directories where the zips unzipped creating the \
familiar  'setup.exe'.

2
The make install commands will likewise copy the necessary operational files but to \
the operational kde directory;  namely and hopefully under /opt/kde  !!!aka  \
somewhere else!!!  This is equivalent to whatever method you may have  been familiar \
with using other OSes, such as for 'active'  or 'operational' or just 'op' \
sub-directories where the  'setup.exe'  would then have 'install'-ed to.

3
when all is done, you will have kde swinging like chopper-blades {the rotors of a \
chopper not necessarily on the way  up}.  If not {and if you also exercised the \
scripting options to be described below} then at least you will have files that  \
logged each session for troubleshooting.  Very handy when you want to whine about \
having been unable to see all  them error-messages flash by on the screen...  but \
quoting 10 exact lines anyway.... cool.

'Nuff said, on!

install Qt-1.31	kde will go nowhere without it... it lives @:
	http://www.troll.no/dl/
and I have have no idea what it does, but seems to do.  I will have to find out how \
much of this one can subsequently  delete.  It's a fair sized package.

*******************
Now set some links since you may forget to do this later.  The Qt  install will have \
you do some such stuff also.   Depending on what shell your system is set to use {I \
think this is the criterion}, use  it to modify either the  /bin/login  file or, as \
in my case using bash, the /etc/profile file.  Here's what I added to the end of mine \
{including the part  needed for prerequisite Qt}.

cd /
mkdir opt	{note: does NOT mean OPTional as in whatEVER you want.  The new fhs2
		standard is now published;  opt is a legit directory for user stuff}

cd opt
mkdir kde	create operational directory for kde files

All this is just preemptive, the above directories would likely be created anywway \
during install. But as they say;  'when in doubt, whip it out'!

Next edit the /bin/login  or etc/profile  file as the case may be with joe or \
whatever to append the kde 'operational'  directory to path and the kde/lib directory \
to libpath.  CAPITALIZE  $PATH and $LIBPATH as these are system  variables storing \
what you may already have seen as the 2 yard path lines in previous configs.

example in my case with joe the basher:
-------------------------------------
# commands common to all logins
{snip}
# Add PATH and MANPATH for teTeX:
PATH="$PATH:/usr/lib/teTeX/bin"
MANPATH="$MANPATH:/usr/lib/teTeX/man"
# maybe I shudda used quotes as in the above installed by SlakWar?

# user added for qt as per doc
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$QTDIR/include:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
# end user addition for qt

# user added for kde as per doc
KDEDIR=/opt/kde
PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# end user added for kde

edit  /etc/ld.so.conf  to also include /opt/kde
---------------------------------
	/usr/local/lib
	/usr/X11R6/lib
	/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
	/usr/openwin/lib
	/opt/kde/lib
-------------------------------
then do

/sbin/ldconfig -v		to actually update links based on the above edits,

maybe reboot

Let it rip!

cd /usr/local/src		apparently as good a place as any for user source files.
			I'd rather put this in with the prog in a 'set' directory to keep
			the 'ops' directory in good company {old habits}.  BUT, as they
			say:  'until you become a PHD you just listen, after that you don't
			even breathe'... so I just did as  IS SUGGESTED ...... for now.
			{That's a Practical Hound Dog}.

mkdir kde	create a directory for source {setup} files
		copy all the .tgz/.gz sources in here
		unpack'em one at a time i.e.
tar xvfz filename.tgz
		each will create a directory for itself and unload into it leaving the  tgz
		files in place. When all is done the directory should resemble this:
kdebase/
kdebase-beta1-3_src.tgz
kdegraphics/
kdegraphics-beta1-2_src.tgz
kdelibs/
kdelibs-beta1-2_src.tgz
kdemultimedia/
kdemultimedia-beta1-2_src.tgz
kdenetwork/
kdenetwork-beta1-2_src.tgz
kdeplay/
kdeplay011.gz*
kdesupport/
kdesupport-beta1-2_src.tgz
kdeutils/
kdeutils-beta1-2_src.tgz
kdvi-0.4/
kdvi-0_4.gz*
kinstl11.txt*
kmix/
kmix053.tgz*
kppp-0.5.7/
kppp-0_5_7_tar.gz
kwebtree.gz*
kwmaud/
kwmaudio.tgz*
webtree/

The first two packages to compile are listed here as examples since they have to be \
compiled in this sequence  anyway!!!  The other packages may then be done in like \
manner.

Lead Session:

	cd /usr/src/kde/kdesupport
	script traksup		{optional to log your session in a 'traksup' file for \
troubleshooting   AND citing precise error messages when whining for help |:-(    }
	ls
	./configure
	make
	make install
	/sbin/ldconfig -v	{updates links, probably not required but free so take one}
	exit			{ends the scripting}
	ls			verify presence of traksup file, looksee if compile bombs
	cd ../

Second Session:

	cd /usr/src/kde/kdelibs
	script traklib		{optional to log your session a 'traklib' file for troubleshooting
				AND citing precise error messages when whining for help |:-(    }
	ls
	./configure
	make
	make install
	/sbin/ldconfig -v	{updates links, probably not required but free so take one}
	exit
	ls			verify presence of tracker file, looksee if compile bombs
	cd ../

Other sessions likewise.

Now.  The  'binary'  install doc says that a command file 'startkde' has seen the day \
as a result of all this {I can't find  mine but it works so it must be there} and all \
you have to do is call it from the 'xinitrc' script which I have found @   \
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.  Edit this file as Doc says to remove any reference \
to other wm's at the end of it and to replace them with  startkde
which should then cause startkde it to run whenever you enter 'startx'  to launch the \
XwindO gui because you're  up-too-here with abusing the keyboard.

There ARE other ways, but not for PengLings, investigate them later.  We're also \
likely to see some  WindoManagerManagers before long that will allow us to swap them \
like a boot manager handles OSes.   Or  you  might find that kde does just fine what \
you want done; it's a big rock with room for everyone.

ta-tah!

v-0.2
[blinking around 47^74<]

                                        -|-  Who, has loved us more?  -|-