List:       kde-user
Subject:    kdm question
From:       Kendrick Vargas <kvarga01 () fiu ! edu>
Date:       1997-09-07 17:33:09

I have a question regarding kdm.

I have not tried the latest devel version of kdm, I have been using the
kdm-0.5.tar.gz distribution. I would like to know what scheme will be used
to determine what the user's last choice for window manager (i.e. kde,
fvwm, failsafe, etc...) was. The version I used last seemed to create a
file in the users home directory listing the user's last login choice(s).

I would like to know if there is an optional second choice to use one
central file instead of creating the individual settings within the users
home directory. My reason for asking this is because I would like to
install KDM accross a 100+ computer network. Most of the home directories
are mounted from several different hosts, therefore, checking within the
user home directory would slow down the process of logging in and make kdm
a not-so-great solution. Having this information centralized in one
central file would dramatically speed up the login-process (I would
assume). If you've determined me to be an idiot at this point, please
don't flame me. Either direct me to the proper forum (which I'm assuming
this list to be) or kindly delete the message. Thanx.
			-peace