List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Problem with Shadow-Paswords and KDE
From:       Heiko Schill <schill () aurich1 ! aurich-net ! de>
Date:       1997-08-10 21:32:07

Frank Ihringer wrote:

> Hi,
> first of all, i want to say that kde is a great peace of work !
> Thanks to all kde-developers!
> I hope, that the first official Beta-version is not too far away!
> But now my problem:
>
> My base-system is the Suse 5.0 Distribution with shadow-passwords and I
> have installed the newest kde libs/apps/base (date 090897) and after that
> the newest screensaver-package. The whole kde-system works fine but if
> I lock the screen there is no way to unlock the system (unknown password)
> or if I start kdisplay I get a lot of error-messages that I should connect
> the system-administrator  because I have a shadow-password-system.
>
> In the readme of the screensaver-package is a note that I should use
> install-shadow if there is a shadow-password-system, but there is no rule
> for "make install-shadow".
> How can I change kde that it works with my shadow-passwords?

Hi Frank,

Well having had the same problem ... ;-)
Try compiling the shadow-package (Sorry, don't know right now where it
is...) and copy libshadow.a directly by hand from the subdirectory to
/usr/lib ...
Runinng ldconfig afterwards and new compiling of the kdebase-package
has solved this problem for me ;-)

Hoping to have helped...
Heiko Schill