List:       kde-user
Subject:    kdm shutdown/reboot
From:       Jarno Pelkonen <jjpelkon () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       1997-08-10 12:26:17

Hi

Just installed kdm-0.5 and it works great. Excelent work. But shutdowning
and rebot works bit too fast. For me /sbin/halt "shutdowns" system in 1
second. After it it starts in 5 minutes after filesystemcheck. Reboot does
not have same problem. Of course this aint "bug" and is easy to "fix".

Shutdown goes through normal init 0 procedure and does everything needed
to shutdown properly. Thats why it should be used instead of
/sbin/halt|reboot.

So I recommend to use "/sbin/shutdown -h now" instead of /sbin/halt and
"/sbin/shutdown -r now" instead of /sbin/reboot.

To "fix" :

kdm/kdmshutdown.h : lines 39 and 40
kdm/kdmconfig.cpp : lines 168 an 171

I do not know if _all_ *IXs have these, but I think they do. ( At least
Digital UNIX. I know because I once tried to shutdown our university's
UNIX-server by mistake. In hurry I tough I was in my own Linux box...)

 -Jarno