List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KDE 2.2 upgrade
From:       "Brett I.Holcomb" <bholcomb () cableone ! net>
Date:       2001-09-01 18:42:06

I know there have been other posts on this subjects (I saw them in the
archive) but I need to add my comments and maybe get some feedback.

I am running Caldera Workstation 3.1 which came with KDE 2.1.  Last night I
UPGRADED to KDE 2.2 using the Caldera Workstation 3.1 RPM from the KDE ftp
site - this is not a vendor package - it is a KDE package so I didn't mess up
a build.

Since the upgrade I've never seen the KControl backtrace dialog so much and
last night I did more fschks then I've done in a year because of the desktop
hanging so badly NO mouse or keystrokes worked.   Good thing I wasn't running
a MS system or I'd have reinstalled 20 times!   Either I did something wrong
or there are some serious problems here.

According to the readme that was in the KDE RPM I needed to do this (a
directory called kde22 contains the directories downloaded from KDE)

rpm -U qt2/*
rpm -i libxmlkde/*
rpm -i pcre/*
rpm -U kdelibs/* kdebase/*

I did that and then did each package in turn checking the dependences first.
I did NOT force the install.

In addition to the problems above I now have:

1.  Sound is messed up.  I no longer get startup and shutdown sounds.  I can
play a CD (only with kscd) but XMMS won't play wave files and the new media
player (noatun) never will start - it gives a spinning disk on the task bar
then disappears forever (I don't see it in the task list).  I have a Santa
Cruz card and sound worked perfectly before this.

2.  Control Center says Information "No information on the sound card" even
as root.

3.  I lost many personalized settings such as the mixer setup (I had it set
to stay in the tray and expand to a full mixer display when clicked).  I had
to reset that.

4.  I used to have a Cirrus Logic Sound card in the Sound Server section of
the Control Center.  No I have opensound or none.

5.  I have a backtrace dialog box that flashes briefly when I log off but I
can't see what it disappears.

6.  The permissions for /dev/dsp*, /dev/audio*, and /dev/mixer* keep getting
set back to rw by root only.   I had them setup so all could use them (chmod
a_rw ...).  It appears to happen after a reboot and I understand it may be
related to some scripts called givedesktop and takedesktop but I can't find
the  scripts.

If I've messed up please let me know but I sure am not happy with the
stabilty of KDE 2.2 and the fact I'm having to redo a lot of stuff.  I do
like a lot of the features in it though.

--

Brett I. Holcomb
AKA Grunt <><