List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KDE Themes
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-10 10:38:07

I've noticed lately in other mailing list, users having problems with themes.
 Currently a user has to download the theme tarball and untar it, copy the
files to certain directories, make sure permissions are right, and other
stuff before going into the Control Center and setting it up.  I think this
should be better done in the Control Center by the following method.
1.  Download tarball
2.  Select Control Center, navigate to Theme Manager and select Install Theme.
3.  Point it to the tarball.  This will ask the user if they want it
installed system-wide or just for current user.  If it's system wide, run
kdesu and ask for root password.
4.  It will use various environment variables to determine where to
install(i.e. $KDEDIRS & $KDEHOME) and copy the necessary files to the correct
places.  It will then prompt the user to add it to the list.
5.  Then all the user has to do is Add it to the list and select and apply
the changes.

This also needs to be done with Styles.  This can be done with a simple rules
based config file in the theme or styles tarball that this can read.  This
would make it extremely usable for any new user.
Well, like most in here, I can't wait till Monday to get KDE2.2 when it's
released.

Jim
--

  4:42am  up 17 days,  5:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.41, 0.45