List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Templates and Support
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-06 20:57:50

I've done about 3 years of Tech Support for 2 different ISPs.  Granted, most
of this was for Win3.x, Win9x, WinNT4 and Mac.  Yes, you can put themes and
change even the name of 'My Computer' so that it is completely different than
a standard Win9x install.  I've run into this on multiple occasions.  Usually
when this is the case, I tell the user to open 'My Computer' and they reply
that it's called 'Foo'.  So, the rest of the conversation is based on 'Foo'
instead of 'My Computer'.  This has never caused me any grief.  In KDE, most
of the tech calls would be either from the command line or tell the user to
click on KMenu and branch out to whatever the tech wants.  The default icons
for KDE2.x on the desktop are the Trash and Home icons.  Some distros put
other icons on there as well.  Some distros even rearrange the KMenu to suit
their viewpoint.  This will not stop the user that wants to customize their
Kicker panel, desktop or Kmenu to something totally different from the
default that KDE provides.  At that point, if you tell the user to bring up
the konqueror file manager by clicking on KMenu->Home Directory, they will
tell you they put it in KMenu->Foo->Konqui File Manager and you adjust to
that.  The same if they happened to move the Control Center and change the
label to something different.  I haven't found a user yet that customized
his/her desktop that didn't know what the original name was before they
changed it.  I did have one person that accidentally change 'My Computer' to
a period and wanted to know how to change it back.  Having the user create
and send you a config file of some type or even a screenshot would take time
and bandwidth that Call Centers can't afford.  Having good techs that can
adjust to user customizations is what you need.  Also, unless this can be
made to work across distros, from /opt/kde2/* to /usr/????/kde2/* and various
other configurations, it would probably cause more grief that it's worth.
What we need to work on is a good looking/usable desktop, kicker, and Kmenu
that is the default install.  Granted, the user and distro will probably
change it to suit their needs.

Jim

--

  2:42pm  up 13 days, 15:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.14, 0.15