List:       kde-usability
Subject:    UI templates for feature sets
From:       Pandurang Rao <pandu_rao () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-05 21:07:54

Template based feature configuration and task based
computing.

   Some have raised the issues that arise with an
extremely customizable desktop, namely; support
problems(the user sees a desktop environment different
from what the tech support person sees) and system
administration problems(the system/network
administrator does not want to provide certain
features of the desktop). While these aren't without
merit, there're other issues that demand
customize-ability to a high degree, such as:

  1. Mobile computing- When I use a laptop running KDE
on power, I don't mind the addons but when I'm running
on batteries, I want only the bare minimum of
features.

  2. Performing well on older machines- A new high
powered computer may run a fully-loaded KDE
installation. However, there are older, slower
machines that need to run KDE. This feature is
important. Especially because KDE user base is growing
and will only continue to grow.

  3. Tinker friendliness- A desktop environment that
tinker friendly will win more users, hold onto them
longer, and  convert them to faithfuls. Modes are
necessary. There is no one-size-fits-all. Customizable
desktops make it easier for users to overcome any UI
design flaws. One example that comes to mind(an
exammple by non-implementation, actually) is the lack
of customize-ability of the Windows key in Microsoft
Windows. Win + E opens Windows Explorer, Win + D
activates the desktop. And that's it. I may want to
customize the Win key to bring up Internet Explorer on
Win + I. But that's not possible. Restrictive user
interfaces are good for ATM machines in kiosks, not
for desktop environments(but that's a personal
opinion). As for dual-mode interfaces, they are bad
only if the initial mode is the simple one. As this
leaves users  with little incentive to graduate.

Task based computing and feature templates
{
		Involves setting up the computer from a task
perspective. i.e. This computer will function as
		a) a private internet-browsing station(has
konqueror, kmail, telnet, ssh, etc.)
		b) a small office workstation(has konqueror, kmail,
koffice etc.)
		c) a corporate working environment(b + corporate
specific exectables, etc.)
		d) a public internet-browsing station(konqueror,
telnet, ssh, etc.)
		e) a technical-support-friendly station(a menu
structure that makes it easy for technical support
personell to guide users)

		Each of these will come with its own feature
template. If a user requires technical support, the
technical support person advises the user to switch to
the TS template. Then the TS person can guide the
user. At the end of the TS session the user can revert
to the old feature template. Some

		Similarly system administrators who want to set up a
corporate working environment template can derive it
from the small business template, customize it,
install it and lock the template down. Hopefully this
should aid large scale remote distribution of desktop
environments.

		Task based computing is related to the exposing the
user interface to the underlying feature/application
set. i.e. What applications are available. It does NOT
describe the menu layout as a series of tasks such as
"Surf the internet". It is imperative that the user
KNOW what application is being used to perform a task.
Tech support personnel do not appreciate receiving
calls about this "thingamajiggy" not working.

}

Published user interface templates
{
		All standard UI templates must be published.
}

Regards,
Pandu