List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: feedback from the gnome usability study.
From:       Sheldon Lee Wen <tormak () home ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 4:09:42

> I think we should do a study before trying to change Konqueror's icon.

I'm not talking about konqueror's icon, I'm talking about the K icon for the
main launcher menu, KDE's equivalent of the windows start button.
The specific problem with the foot on the gnome menu was that people could
not readily determine it's meaning from the picture. How is the K any
different, if people do not have any pre-existing contextual, or other,
information with regards to it?

> >4) We have the same problem with the KDE Home directory icon as the gnomes
> > do w/ the nautilus home icon.
>
> But they're two very different icons. Nautilus is just a house with
> "SOME-NAME's Home" as its title, which sounds a lot like people's websites
> named in exactly the same way. The Home in KDE says just 'Home' and it's
> not just an icon of a house. It's a large folder with a house beside it,
> implying something having to do with files/folders. Perhaps "Home
> Directory" might be more specific, though.

The core of the problem there was that the people being tested were not
familiar with the concept of networked machines and "home directories" thus,
the house icon did not imply a location for their files to them. For us, it's
a no brainer, but for someone who doesn't know what a home directory is,
there is no context to work from.  I agree that the picture of the file on
the icon is much better, but it's the home part of it that may throw some
people off. Would a picture of a hard-drive be better or more intuitive?

"... all thoughts of selfish desire, ill-will, hatred and
 violence are the result of a lack of wisdom ... "
 - Buddha

For an awsome fantasy role playing game checkout:
http://lycadican.sourceforge.net