List:       kde-usability
Subject:    usability study
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2001-04-22 15:17:25

Hi!
We have some 1700 "wishes not done" in the bug reporting system.

They should get quantified and qualyfied.

IMHO the usability study should try to find out the ranking of the
unfullfilled wishes per app and for KDE in general.

I tried to answer the questions in
http://kdeusability.sourceforge.net/questions/quest041.txt

As I use KDE 1 and 2 since about 2 years I wonder how I could answer the
questions to make the analysts aware, what I am missing and what I like and
what I do not need.

If the target of the study is to make the developers aware of some
shortcomings, they have to be named very clearly and the context has to be
described.
The same facts migth well be judged very different depending on the context.
These questions are completely missing:
What are your most important/frequent tasks performed with your computer /
with KDE? (if you ask my wife, the list will be very short, if you ask me,
the list will be very long and I will have a problem rating them, because I
need them all to perform my job. If only ONE fails, all other features (of
KDE) are less useful, because I have to use another (linux)-application or
have to switch to another OS.
At home I only use KDE2 (supported by netscape, gimp, abiword ,xv ..), but in
the office I still have to use MS and pick some KDE apps which I run in
vnc-views.

So KDE is excellent, the best I know for linux, but not yet good enough
(bugs, features) to __fully__ replace the most needed apps.

IMHO the usability study should contribute to reach this target.

Hope that helps

--
KDE 2 - current CVS on SuSE 7.1, X86Free 4.0.3

regards
Ferdinand Gassauer

http://www.goesing.at