List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [Kde-usability] Re: Icon Usability
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-22 19:44:35

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:25:46 -0500 Sean Pecor <sean@digitalspinner.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday 22 March 2001 17:11, you wrote:
> > I think this is good in some ways and bad in others. It is good as it
> > makes the data easier for us to process, but it is bad in that
> > conditioning results to some extent by providning pre selected options.
>
> True. Perhaps a multiple choice can be done during a second phase of the
> poll, after the designer has had a chance to make improvements to the icon.
> Then, you could take the top 10 user answers for the icon in the previous
> poll, and display them as multiple choice during the second phase poll to
> make sure the icon is now being understood accurately by the vast majority
> (90%+).

This could be useful, but unfortunatly still limits and conditions the
user to a certain extent.

> This method would be more useful for the ACTION icons of course,
where many
> icons could use a little improvement, which is what I'm experimenting with
> in some spare time:
>
> http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/theme.png

Ahh excellent. :-)

> > I assume grabbing the values from the boxes then checking if there
is a
> > DB entry should be ok. If there is no DB entry creating a new one.
> > What do you mean by a dynamic form including write in? Could you please
> > clafiry. :-)
>
> You describe what I mean with your first sentence :). But you should moderate
> all submissions before they are used in the form. Otherwise you'll get
> "Monitor" and "Montinor" entries and so on :).

I think this is what it boils down to - moderation. I think it is going
to be a case where we *need* to moderate the results for such things as
spelling mistakes; something which I did'nt consider. If we are going
to moderate results we might as well just create a post form and get
results mailed to the mailing list or the CVS or something. These
results can then be entered by a developer.

	Jono

Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org
KDE/Qt Developer