Hi all, I think we should use pencil. Even though it is not yet really good = enough - I think only by using it, it will get the chance to get = better (e.g. some KDE developers fixing bugs?!?). We need a free tool = for mocking. If we have plasma / QML stencils for it - even better! If there is a need, I know the pidoco guys a bit, so I could evaluate = a free-as-beer version for us, if there is demand. But I honestly = never fell in love with their tool - when things get complex it = really gets in the way (last try about 2 years ago - so things might = have changed!) But no doubt: nothing is as good as balsamiq... (perhaps Axure to go = to a slightly different category). My 2 cents, Bj=F6rn Am Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013, 16:01:27 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer: > On 23.01.2013 15:31, Alex Fiestas wrote: > > On Wednesday 23 January 2013 14:08:27 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote: > >> Since I don't think we really need advanced interactive = prototyping > >> functionality, I'd go for either myBalsamiq or - if somebody = wants to > >> create stencils for Plasma Components - Pencil. Or a combination = of > >> myBalsamiq for early sketches and Pencil for more detailed = wireframes. > > = > > As far as I know (I may be wrong) you can extend Pencil only by = producing > > SVG and importing them you don't need to know programing for = doing that. > > IIRC we should be able to produce a "collection" that we all = share > > containing Plasma Components and missing "rough sketch" items = without > > needing a programmer to do it. > = > That depends on what you want to have. For static components just > importing SVGs is enough. You don't have things like states > (checked/unchecked, focused, opened/closed) or editable labels = then, though. > For anything more fancy, you'll need to edit the XML. That is not = actual > _programming_, of course, but somebody would need to get into XUL = and > Pencil's specific structure to do it. > = > > If indeed we need a programmer for extending Pencil, then we can = evaluate > > using something else but we should we careful of not tiering = ourselves > > with a proprietary app that won't allow us to export our data. > = > Having a comprehensive set of Plasma Components stencils (ideally = in > both sketch and true-to-the-original versions) would be awesome, of > course, and would make Pencil a very useful tool indeed. > I'd say the next step should be to evaluate how complicated = creating > more complex stencils actually is and estimate how much effort = creating > a useful Plasma components stencil set would be. > Then we can see if we can take that effort. Creating stencils could = make > pretty nice Google Code-in jobs, of course. > = > Exporting Balsamiq files is no more special than exporting Pencil = files, > though. Both are XML and afaik, neither uses a standardized format = (in > fact, I'm not aware of the existence of a standardized format for = mockups). > The advantage with Pencil is of course that we could theoratically = add > missing features ourselves. The Balsamiq devs are a very nice = bunch, > though, and they are really good at listening to their customers. = It's > pretty sad that they haven't gone the open source way yet, it would > really fit them well. > = > _______________________________________________ > kde-usability mailing list > kde-usability@kde.org > https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability -- = Dipl.-Psych. Bj=F6rn Balazs Business Management & Research T +49 30 6098548-21 | M +49 179 4541949 User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise = Gr=FCnberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com = HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer Bj=F6rn Balazs _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability