List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability] myBalsamiq for KDE (for free)?
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2013-01-21 18:40:33

Hi usability-team,
some of you may be familiar with Balsamiq Mockups [1], a very nice tool for
creating GUI mockups (either completely static or with simulated interaction
by linking between different mockups). It is proprietary, commercial software,
but I don't know about a good Free alternative to it (yes, you can create UIs
with Qt Designer, but that's way too much work for a simple idea sketch). And
since its makers are "big fans of open-source software, and want to support
serious open-source efforts as much as we can.", they offer it to open source
projects for free [2].
Especially "myBalsamiq" [3] may be interesting for us, as it is web-based and
can thus be used to edit mockups collaboratively.
I have used Balsamiq for years and found it to be very useful. I already have
a free open-source contributor license for Balsamiq Desktop, but I think
myBalsamiq would be much more useful for KDE as a whole, because with it
people can easily edit mockups without having to install anything.
If you think this is useful, either I or someone else could apply for a free
instance (they call it "site") for KDE (you can get Balsamiq Desktop for free
as an individual FOSS contributor, but myBalsamiq licenses are only granted
for projects).
What do you think?

Thomas

[1] http://www.balsamiq.com