List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] KMix UI orientation
From:       Anne Wilson <annew () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-05-19 12:16:01

On 19/05/12 12:47, David Edmundson wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Eike Hein <hein@kde.org> wrote:
>> On 05/17/2012 08:50 PM, Trever Fischer wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm starting to have a look at a lot of the papercuts in
>>> kdemultimedia, trying to polish up all the little details that
>>> bother me.
>>>
>>> Here's my first question:
>>>
>>> Does KMix really need vertical slider orientation?
>>

>> FWIW, I recently had some involvement with this one ...
>>
>> - KMix has an option to select the orientation, but the tray
>> popup used to ignore this setting; only the main window would
>> follow it.
>>
>> - The tray popup used to use vertical orientation, and from the
>> above, this meant that setting the orientation to horizontal
>> would have no effect on the popup.
>>
>> - One of the early KDE 4.8.x releases introduced a change that
>> made the popup use horizontal orientation, again regardless of
>> the setting. Immediately we got angry users on #kde who despised
>> this.
>>

> Don't give in to any few "angry users". Whatever you do you upset
> some chump who just hates anything being different to before,
> probably hasn't tried the new system long enough to try and like
> it, and they're not always (or rarely) representative of the
> general user base.
>
> If you constantly change to offer what every angry person says you
> risk ending up with an app that's full of bloat, countless options
> which are both now impossible to use for the general populous and
> now impossible to maintain too.

Irrelevant to this conversation.

> (I risk taking this conversation down a tangent, but the point is
> if this list suggests something, and you try it and it works well,
> don't give in to pressure from noisy twats.)

Not agreeing with you, or disliking your proposal, doesn't make anyone
a noisy twat.  Please show some respect.

Oddly enough, software is for users, not for developers.  In many
cases we can simply change to another application if we are not happy.
 This is not so, in the case of kmix.  Keep the option, please.  If
horizontal is so much better it will gradually become the accepted and
the default.

Anne