List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Display Management Design
From:       Moritz Hobe <m.o () online ! de>
Date:       2011-08-01 14:20:23

Am Montag, 1. August 2011, 17:02:38 schrieb Lukas:

> I'm not sure if such scenario fits average use case. How often do you have
> luxury to have access to monitor an hour before. In business meetings its
> quite rare situation.
>
> Also how about university teachers? Each room has its own projector,  does
> it mean that person should have to reconfigure display on each room. What if
> he is a damn good teacher and works in many universities where gives 2-3
> presentations/lessons daily?
>
> So in reality tying to specific display ID might not be the best idea...

To be honest: I don't know if that damn good teacher giving 2-3 lessons
everyday on daily changing projectors is that common in reality either.
I guess if the dialog is done right, the 25 damn good teachers worldwide
shouldn't need more than 10 seconds for their setup (and after all, it only
needs to be done once per projector, not once per lesson).
The other x million people might prefer an easier setup without having to
create profiles and think about what exactly their special profile from 2
years ago is going to do with the monitors installed.

> On the other hand, remembering what profile was used with exact display is a
> great idea (on next uses it just auto switches to preferred profile) :)

Well, if an unknown projector is connected, you'll end up with a 'choose
profile' dialog. If it is known, you'll end up with the preferred setup.
The same would be true without profiles, only you wouldn't have to choose a
profile but choose settings.
I don't have any figures on how often what is done with monitors, but I think
the additional overhead of profiles won't pay out very often.