List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability] Re: Errors handling during file transfer
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-07-22 20:25:32

Le 20/07/2011 12:56, Cyril Oblikov a écrit :
> Hy guys,
>
> I'm gsoc student and my progress is described in this blogpost [1]. I
> need some help.

First of, let me thank you for this work, I have been bitten by blocking
file transfer error dialogs too many times!

> [behavior]
> There are some cases where it is not obvious what behaviour is better.
> We should attract user attention to errors, but it also shouldn't be
> annoying:
> 1) First interaction request or uncritical error occurrence
> 2) Files transferred, but there are some unresolved interaction requests
> 3) Transfer finished, but there are some uncritical errors (e.g. some
> files were not copied)

I personally believe a file transfer error is serious enough that it is
worth opening a dialog. I also consider what you call uncritical errors
to be quite critical: not getting a file copied when you asked for it to
be copied is a serious problem. Furthermore, it is a problem which can
often be solved. For example if the destination folder is read-only, we
can suggest the user to adjust the permission of the destination folder
so that the transfer can be retried. Another common example is a
transfer being aborted because the destination device is full: removing
unused files on the device can free enough space for the transfer to be
retried.

I uploaded a mockup of a dialog which would be displayed when errors
occur during a file transfer. It integrates the rename feature but tries
to provide helpful actions for other error types. You can find it here:

http://wstaw.org/m/2011/07/22/file-errors.png

Aurélien