List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability] Re: KUiServer JobView extension
From:       Shaun Reich <predator106 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-06-13 17:58:58

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Cyril Oblikov <munknex@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Who is "we"?
> I'm a GSoC student. So I and my mentor David Faure. Link to my
> project: goo.gl/JvWHr

Ah, well why didn't you say so ;-p

> Oh, it doesn't changed yet. I posted this screen just to explain what
> I'm talking about. :)

Ah okay :)

> As far as I can see Job registers itself at KIO::getJobTracker() which
> points to KDynamicJobTracker which registers job at
> KUiServerJobTracker. KUiServerJobTracker associate job with
> org::kde::JobViewV2 which is provided by KUiServer through DBus.
> What should be changed in Plasma's dataengine?

You are correct. Well, the plasma dataengine just has to be updated to
use the new features in org::kde::JobViewV3(?). Then it would have to
expose it via a data source of some type, so the presentation layer
can know what is going on. That is of course if the plasma UI requires
modifying. This part is all trivial though -- much simpler than it
sounds.

> Hmm... Maybe when interaction is required user would be notified and
> jobview will appear? I'm not sure if it's usable, so I really need
> advises here :)

I guess that would work. But yeah, I'm about as clueless as you as to
how to properly present that information ;)
Makes it difficult as the user would have to know what it is (i.e.
that it requires action), and that the job isn't just broken or
anything.

I still have the feeling that whatever goes into that popup is going
to get missed. Perhaps one could get away with an information-like
icon, along with an embedded button, e.g. "Handle(maybe Resolve)
Conflicts", then clicking it would show the regular KIO conflict
dialog. Someone else on here probably has more creative ideas...

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)