List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability] Usability advice for a tech related KWin
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-26 19:43:14

Hi,
the kwin developers would like to have some input from the usability team
regarding this patch: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/101061/

Background:
Some drivers are critically buggy, ie. they might crash kwin or even X11
on very basic calls that would be required to even just identify the
driver.
Therefore kwin checks whether it survives such call and if not adds a "do
not check again!" flag.
This has the drawback that OpenGL compositing can never be enabled anymore
(since kwin refuses to test) - even if the driver has meanwhile improved
and would theoretically work.

Therefore we need to add a way for the users to "rearm" the check.
It is *important* that they understand that the following step might
severely harm their system (including the loss of unsaved data in other
applications!) but on the other hand we don't want to scare them away.

Currently the warning message is a bit techy and there's also a big
warning on the pushbutton that triggers the pot. dangerous function, but
the result might of course be "too confused you nerds, me gave up".

So basically:
a) how much should the user given the low-down?
b) how to best make a pushbutton that says "rearm compositing" without
having the user instantly click it without sense.

Cheers,
Thomas