List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability]  UX Developer Sprint Proposal
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-12-21 1:55:10

Hi Everyone,

This is information on a UX Developer Sprint proposal in Spring 2011.
Feel free to forward or add whoever you may think would be interested
in this sprint. An organization wiki page is located:
http://community.kde.org/Sprints/UX2011

The purpose of this sprint is to provide an opportunity for unbridled
creativity and hacking on new and old KDE user experience (UX)
problems. The goal is to produce 3-4 design specifications and code
prototypes of new interaction and interface concepts that could be
integrated into KDE. This is an opportunity to be part of a innovation
that could lead to the next generation KDE.

Anyone who is interested should think of at least one idea or concept
they would like to explore during the sprint. The idea can be all but
a twinkle in your eye, or a series of hard requirements. You will be
able to present your idea in a group discussion. We will choose
several topics to explore in more detail, eventually leading to
actionable design specifications and prototype code.

In many ways, I believe this sprint could fit into Aaron's Elegance
vision from Akademy 2010. Here are two examples of concepts I would
bring as my discussion topics:

* Integration of webservices in a useful way
We have apps that are desktop portals to data on Facebook and Flickr,
but we don't do anything interesting with it. To remain relevant we
have to use the web, not just interface with it. Why can't we connect
to Facebook as a calendar resource, or add Flickr as a seamless image
location in Digikam and Gwenview?

* Keeping up with current trends:
We need to consider next-generation toolbars, menus, and windowing.
Browsers have been slowly evolving to optimize toolbars and tabs in
the interface, but other apps remain archaic. Microsoft has worked out
kinks in its "ribbon" toolbar design in the next generation of
productivity apps. We've had very interesting proposals for flexible
UIs and alternative menu designs. Why don't we take a serious look at
proposals like this to see if they are the future?

My vision for this sprint isn't necessarily to solve existing
problems, but to think forward. KDE 4 is stable. We now have the
freedom to hack and experiment for the future.

Activities include brainstorming, designing, prototyping, and architecture:

* Brainstorming: I've provided a sample list of "holes" to fill. What
else could we do? How would we do it?
* Designing: What are possible ways we can provide new ways to
interact with and experience KDE?
* Prototyping: Let's see these ideas in action and code out some of
these problems. What would our ideas look and feel like in KDE?
* Architecture: What new technology needs are there to support our
ideas? Do we need widgets? Libraries? Or just a standardized way of
doing things?

Sprint deliverables could include:

* Design mockups exploring new interactions
* Technical specifications for new technology
* Prototype code demonstrating new ideas

There is no date yet, other than Spring 2011. If you are interested,
please add yourself to the participant list on the wiki page with
possible dates. Also add a topic if you have a particular stone you
would like to crush. If you have any questions about the sprint, or
would like help coming up with a personal topic, feel free to ask.
This is a great opportunity to get a diverse group of problem solvers
together to create something new and shiny. Maybe your idea might even
turn into the next KDE gem :)

Cheers,

~ Celeste

--