List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability] Re: Change 'File' in application's menu bar
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-10-09 21:37:33

Hmm.. I've thought of this over the past year, especially as I've
become more familiar with Microsoft's new menu organization and ribbon
toolbars. The File menu was developed as a standardized menu solution
back in the day when most computers and applications were for
knowledge working and thus document/archive based. Modern computing
doesn't fit this model anymore so it makes sense we should adjust as
well.

There have also been other suggestions on how to improve the menu/tool
bars. Microsoft's ribbon has been an example of removing menus and
reorganizing toolbars. Browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) have been a good
example of merged menu/tool bars.

The first step would be to develop mockups of ideas for different
solutions. Here are some activities that may occur in this design
process:
* Compare the current menu/toolbar design with other designs to
identify key differences and design options
* Identify weaknesses in the current design (e.g. File menu) in order
to create design goals
* Brainstorm design ideas and identify strengths and weaknesses
* Mockup design ideas with 4 or 5 of the most popular applications to
see if the ideas fit different contexts

Once we do this, I believe we will be able to explore different
options and identify any implementation problems early on. A new
menu/toolbar design may require functionality that is not currently
possible in Qt, and we would need to make requests early on.

The process will be long and tedious, but I can imagine a window
menu/toolbar redesign project as follows:
Step 1: Mockup ideas for different solutions (iterate and discuss)
Step 2: Create low-level prototypes of 2 or 3 of the best ideas and
test them with users
Step 3: Revisit the designs and integrate test feedback into the best design(s)
Step 4: Create a more serious prototype (either a branch of KWin or
somehow create a KWin plugin) and work out implementation details and
low-level design details
Step 5: Test with more users and integrate feedback into the design
Step 5: Decide on a final design concept to begin implementing in KWin
as the next KDE window menu/toolbar design

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM, maarten something <montfras@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose a change in in the menu bar of all KDE applications.
>
> please note: this is not my idea, original by Madman on brainstorm
> http://forum.kde.org/brainstorm.php#idea87405_page1
>
> Problem:
> Most/all kde apps use 'File' as the first menu entry, most of the time
> this has nothing to do with file management but with application
> management. This is also where the Quit option is placed.
>
> There are lots of examples on the kde forums brainstorm, but the
> conclusion is that File has nothing to do with the presented options.
>
> Proposed solution:
> Replace 'File' by the application name as it is already done by amarok.
>
> This might confuse new windows users but it makes the use of that menu
> entry much more obvious. e.g. 'Konsole': New window, new tab, ...,
> quit
>
> The solution should be made global by changing kdelibs to
> automatically use the program name as first menu entry.
> I would like to make a patch for this but I would like to gather some
> feedback / discussion first.
>
> Other solutions:
> Replace 'File' by 'Application' or 'App' Instead of using the program
> name just use a system wide string.
>
> Change the menu's text to something with better context. e.g. 'Page'
> when using Konqueror.
> This is actually already possible so the chances that developers will
> use something else but the standard is rather small.
>
> Use mac-like solution
> I think mac uses the application name as first entry and 'File' as the
> second. But this is even worse than the current situation imho
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks
> P.S. If I am posting this in the wrong mailing-list or doing something
> else wrong please tell me!

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project
KDE e.V. Board of Directors