List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       Aurélien Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-04-12 22:45:16

On 10/04/2010 22:40, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> First I'd like to state I don't think you intend any harm, and I am
>> convinced you genuinely care for KDE. But the way you interact on this
>> list is starting to get more and more painful to me (and maybe to
>> others?). You have to understand that usability is highly subjective and
>> that you can't convince everybody that your viewpoints are the holy true
>> ones (I certainly have been guilty of that sin as well in the past).
>>

> I wonder why you think that I assume my own viewpoints to be holy. I
> have argued in favour of viewpoints that I personally don't like, and
> I have _always_ asked for opinions that contradict my viewpoints. In
> fact, I personally _like_ when people show me the sides of issues that
> I did not or could not consider.

I was referring to the fact that in this particular situation (the
menubar in systemsettings) you seem to consider the HIG more important
than the actual use of the application, as if the HIG was some holy text.

>> Right now it reached the point where everytime you answer a thread I
>> know it's dead because it's going to degenerate into an endless
>> discussion from which nothing good emerges.
>
> Please elaborate on that, with an example. It is _not_ my intention to
> ruin threads. If that is what you perceive me to be doing (and you are
> not alone, Lydia seems to feel as you do in regards to me) then show
> me where and how I have done that, so that I might improve. Culture
> clash, maybe? I do not watch television or films very much, so my
> exposure to Western culture is limited to that online.

I don't think this is related to culture. It would be a shame if having
the same culture was a requirement to work together.

I am not sure pinpointing a specific discussion would really help, Jos
summarized my feelings quite well.

Aurélien