List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2010-04-11 14:39:52

On Sunday 11 April 2010 08:08, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I think users should be able to remove devices without informing the
> > Device Notifier first. The technology promises users can insert and
> > remove devices and therefore should take special precautions when they do
> > so, and not force the precautions on them. imho, operating systems have
> > not completely incorporated removable device technology and left the hard
> > parts for users to solve.
>
> USB sticks can be pulled out at will, this is not a CDROM that needs a
> physical eject mechanism.

Actually, that is exactly what's missing. I assumed hardware developers
omitted device locking because the technology ensured safe removal.

> Transferring a multi-GB file will take time.
> There is therefore a window of time in which it is unsafe to remove
> media.

The same situation exists with network file systems (NFS). From a system's
view, it matters little what caused the disconnect, what matters is how the
system handles it.

> > It is no longer a human error for a user to remove a device while it is
> > being accessed. It is a system error if it results in data loss, or
> > worse, corrupts the device. or causes a lock-up.
>
> That is naive and ideological.

Perhaps, but doesn't change the fact that systems don't handle unexpected
removals cleanly and users may remove sticks somewhat randomly.

> Some users do not understand what 4 GB
> means, they cannot fathom that it takes more than a nanosecond to
> transfer.

... and therefore cannot know what safe removal means. The reasoning should be
followed to its logical conclusion. imho, the system is supposed to serve the
user, not the user the system. Users should not be expected to handle system
events (insert/removal) when they're presented with a virtual view (desktop
metaphor) of the system.

> Increase transfer speeds?

That avoids solving the underlying problem, which may work for unmounted
devices, but not all. Ultimately, imho, it is a system problem, not KDE's nor
users. Note KDE implemented file monitoring which Linux developers later
added into the kernel, so requesting system developers to do the same here,
would not be too presumptuous.

Regards,

Peter