List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Jan-Christoph Borchardt <jan () inquata ! com>
Date:       2010-04-11 12:24:14

On 11 April 2010 12:03, yahoo-pier_andreit <pier_andreit@yahoo.it> wrote:
>> A modern system therefore will merely notify the user that the stick was
>> 'cleanly removed', or not, as the case may be. Dirty sticks may be cleaned by
>> simply reinserting them in the proper computer. Sticks may be automatically
>> mounted at designated places, so users need never do that either (although
>> they can).
>>
>> This, imho, is a flaw in current operating system design, not a usability
>> issue. While everyone accepts it as a user issue, KDE will be pressurized
>> into providing a usable solution. While KDE may provide a work-around, I hope
>> they (and other desktop developers) will also engage system developers on
>> this issue from a design standpoint.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>
> I'm totally agree, I always asked myself why should safely remove exist,
>   end why if I detach an usb key during writing system cannot advise me
> to reinsert if I want to finish the work on it or quit the work.

Agreed completely. That's what about everyone asks themselves.

On 11 April 2010 10:08, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A modern system therefore will merely notify the user that the stick was
>> 'cleanly removed', or not, as the case may be. Dirty sticks may be cleaned by
>> simply reinserting them in the proper computer. Sticks may be automatically
>> mounted at designated places, so users need never do that either (although
>> they can).
>>

> Tell me, in detail, how such a system would work behind the scenes. If
> you are detailed enough, someone will code it.

Users can pull out USB drives at will. If there was no writing process
currently taking place, nothing happens – the device is safely
removed. Many people do that anyway because they are either annoyed
about the work to  »safely remove « a drive or they simply do not know
there is an option for that.

Only if there is some kind of problem, the user gets notified to
reinsert the stick and the system is able to continue from that point
on. Download managers can handle that, why not operating systems?