On Sunday 04 April 2010 14:44, Dotan Cohen wrote: > > I propose that either (or both) of these suggestions be implemented: > 1) On the context menu on the items add the "Remove Safely" item that > Dolphin has > 2) In the list of actions, add the action "Remove Safely" > > What do the list members think? I think users should be able to remove devices without informing the Device Notifier first. The technology promises users can insert and remove devices and therefore should take special precautions when they do so, and not force the precautions on them. imho, operating systems have not completely incorporated removable device technology and left the hard parts for users to solve. It is no longer a human error for a user to remove a device while it is being accessed. It is a system error if it results in data loss, or worse, corrupts the device. or causes a lock-up. A modern system therefore will merely notify the user that the stick was 'cleanly removed', or not, as the case may be. Dirty sticks may be cleaned by simply reinserting them in the proper computer. Sticks may be automatically mounted at designated places, so users need never do that either (although they can). This, imho, is a flaw in current operating system design, not a usability issue. While everyone accepts it as a user issue, KDE will be pressurized into providing a usable solution. While KDE may provide a work-around, I hope they (and other desktop developers) will also engage system developers on this issue from a design standpoint. Regards, Peter _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability