List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-06 14:06:33

On 6 April 2010 12:56, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Why low contrast, and why without a label? You stated earlier (and my
> tests agree with) the fact that users do not hover to find things.

Low contrast without a label is needed to reduce the visual weight of
the element, which helps to scan the plasmoid and better find the
relevant information.

Compare the three versions of the attached mockup when several devices
are loaded. The first one is easier on the eyes, since only the
selected device is highlighted. Having the icon always shown assures
that the user notices the function even without hovering (which
doesn't happen with the current implementation). Only when trying to
interact with the device, the self-explaining label is needed.

> 2010/4/6 Anne Wilson
> Although I agree. I'd go one further. =A0I'd have a hair-line divider bet=
ween
> the device description and the eject button, hinting that there is actual=
ly a
> separate function for the eject, and it's not part of the description, if=
 you
> see what I mean. :-) =A0I don't actually see what dimming it does achieve=
.

The Oxygen theme tried to reduce the number of lines and separators
and boxes because KDE3 was overloaded with them. In this case adding a
separator is unneeded, a simpler visual design can solve the same
problem. I don't think creating unneeded separators is a good trend
anyway.

["mockup-device-manager-eject 3 cases.png" (image/png)]