List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       yahoo-pier_andreit <pier_andreit () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2010-04-06 7:52:44

> Don't care; irrelevant.

:-)

> I must press you to look at this image, if you for some reason think
> that we are the only ones who do this.. http://tinyurl.com/yzsa4mk*
>

> *The eject icon and the associated action is quite straight-forward. It
> is a metaphor used all over in the world of computing and a very good
> one, if I may say so myself.

I agree

> Anyways...it would be interesting to find out if part of the issue is
> the fact that the eject icon changes it's visiblity based on the
> mouseover status.

Yes, on this I agree, it would be better if the eject icon be always
visible and possibly bigger, taking into account that now the device
manager isn't browseable by keyboard arrows, you have a shortcut to make
the device manager appear and nothing other you can do by keyboard

> I could see how it could be a bit unexpected: i.e.
> it's difficult to find that which you can't initially see.
>
> But then again, I would also assume that the user has to mouse over the
> device anyways to see what actions he wants to do with it (even if it
> were right clicking).

yes but nothing happen by keyboard, and also why you has to mouse over
to make the icon appear? it isn't space saving cause the space is the
same, are there other reasons?

> --
> Shaun Reich,
> KDE Developer (www.kde.org <http://www.kde.org>)