List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-05 23:07:11

On 6 April 2010 01:58, Markus <kamikazow@web.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag 06 April 2010 00:23:03 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
>> The Eject icon already exists there.
>
> But only visible on mouse hover. It should be visible all the time -- maybe
> faded when not hovered, but still visible all the time. In Device Notifier and
> Dolphin.

I disagree that the button should ever be faded so long as the item
can in fact be ejected. Fade only if the Eject option is for whatever
reason not available (such as a pending Write operation).

>> But if the word "Eject" were
>> added (as is the case in another OS as per a screenshot posted by
>> another commenter) then the Eject icon would be much improved as well.
>
> By "other OS" you mean Vista which is hardly know for its great usability.

Then why did you post that screenshot?

>> Many people (100% of those I polled, 14 out of 14) did not know what
>> that icon was for.
>
> Then you should move to a country where people have electronic devices.
> Every DVD player remove, software DVD/CD player, iTunes, etc. uses that icon.

I will consider moving to another country. However, that will not help
the other KDE users still here. In fact, I happen to get along with
the Eject button, so me moving to another country will not help.

>> I personally like it too. I hardly ever use the mouse and don't think
>> that it needs so many clicks, double clicks, right and middle clicks,
>> then click and drops. But the everyday mousemaid expects context menus
>> with relevant actions. This is clearly such a case.
>
> No, this is just a case where the Eject button is not obvious enough because
> it's not visible all the time.

I partially agree with that statement. However, in addition to being
visible, it should be labeled.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.