List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-05 12:15:07

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This thread, and the response above in particular, have me baffled, maybe
>> because its massive shifts from KDE3 paradigms have caused me to use KDE4 so
>> rarely, and Dolphin never. Windows Explorer has context menu items for safe
>> removal of removable media, similar to Konq 3 in local files mode. What is
>> this stiff dev objection to having similar in Dolphin?
>>

> Actually, it does exist in Dolphin. This thread is suggesting that the
> context menu be added to the Device Notifier plasmoid as well.

Where exactly would you add it? to the right-click menu on the
plasmoid itself? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me - we're working
on making plasma more intuitive and easier to use on touchscreens by
removing obscure context menus, making things obvious by adding
mouseovers and buttons. This works when you click the icon and see the
list of devices. I think the eject button currently there is more than
obvious, esp with the mouse-over text of 'click to remove this object
safely from the computer'.

Adding a right-click menu over the plasmoid in the systray makes it
different from all other plasmoids and the whole design of plasma -
very inconsistent. The ONLY reason I see for doing that is because MS
has this silly icon which appears when you put in an USB stick and
then you have to use right-mouse-click to remove devices. It is so
obscure 95% of the ppl I know don't even know it exists and have no
idea how to use it - they just wait a while after using a stick and
then remove it without any disconnect actions. They DO know about the
eject button in iTunes, luckily, and use it.