List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Review Request: Add a confirmation window when
From:       Jan-Christoph Borchardt <jan () inquata ! com>
Date:       2010-04-01 13:51:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2010/4/1 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>

> On Wednesday 31 March 2010 22:57:21 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> > David: I agree. The undo would be out of place after the final delete,
> > because that is supposed to be, well, final. It is suited for the =C2=
=BBmove
> > trash=C2=AB-action though.
> >
> > Side note: Global undo would be a killer feature for sure.
> >
> > I feel the trash has created an anti-pattern when it comes to file
> > recovery; we do not want to lose our files but we want to keep everythi=
ng
> > clean, hence we empty the trash regularly. This makes little sense with
> > todays big hard drives.
> >
> I do not agree.  If I have duplicate image files, or test photos or
> screenshots that I no longer need, it would be stupid to keep them, just
> because I have a large hard drive.

You do not keep them, you just hit delete and can forget them. They are not
lost, just hidden, like in Gmail and Dropbox (though deletion after 30 days
is debatable).
Sure, for duplicates it would be stupid, but what about all the other files=
?
Searching through some really unneeded files for a needed file is easier
than starting from scratch.

>  > Dropbox for example has a far better approach: It has no visible trash=
,
> > deleted items are only hidden and recoverable for 30 days. You can
> > permanently delete them if you want but you do not feel the urge to do =
it
> > because they are not prominently displayed.
> >
> > The opposite is true for the trash: It always sits there in the bottom
> > right corner, waiting for the user to empty it.
>
> This is no longer true.  Take a look at the confiuration options of the
> widget.

Oops, I forgot that this is a KDE mailing list. ;)