List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       James Tyrer <jrtyrer () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2010-03-02 0:50:53

Markus wrote:
> Am 28.02.2010 18:55, schrieb Mark Kretschmann:
>> Many of our users keep asking for a way to hide the Menubar, like it
>> is the standard with other KDE apps (CTRL-M, I think). But we have
>> disabled this on purpose because we used to a get a steady flood of
>> reports, going like this: "My Menubar is gone! How to get it back?
>> Help!!"
>>
>> So I personally think that just making it optional is not a good
>> solution. I would rather replace it altogether, once and if we find a
>> good concept for doing so.
>
> I found Aurélien's idea to have a "turn menu into button" option nice.
> And don't forget that Amarok also works on Mac OS X and X11 platorms
> with a global menu bar (be it KDE's Xbar or 'Global Menu for GNOME').
> Any new concept needs to work with those as well.

I agree.  However, I note that this isn't an either or question.  Rather
it is something which could be added with the user having the option to
use one or the other since if the toolbar icon for the menu, or a
toolbar with that dedicated use, existed the user could choose which to
use by configuration.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch