List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       todd rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-28 21:06:36

> On 02/25/10 23:53, megabigbug wrote:
> He came up with the idea to extend xmlgui so that an application would
> be able to define both a menu bar and a menu button. This would make it
> possible for any developer to provide a menu button without too much work.

Good idea.

> The other great idea he suggested was to use the existing "Show/hide
> Menu Bar" action to switch between menu bar and menu button: Imagine if
> upon clicking this action the menu bar were turned into a menu button,
> added to the right edge of the main toolbar... This would very nicely
> solve the classic: "I clicked on 'Settings > Show Menu Bar', my menu
> disappeared and now I don't know how to bring it back, help!".

Another good idea, although I would suggest it acts either as a
stand-alone toolbar that can be moved around or as a button, because I
doubt everyone would want it to go in the same place.  It would need
to remember its location when switching back and forth between button
and menu mode.  It could be a standard button in the toolbar layout
configuration, but is kept invisible until the menu is hidden.

-Todd