List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       Ben Cooksley <sourtooth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-26 22:15:28

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM, James Tyrer <jrtyrer@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Replacing the toolbar with a menu bar would be terrible... and that
>> would still cause a HIG violation since the Search bar would have to
>>  be put into the menu, which would also make it extremely
>> inconsistent for the Mac platform, since the menu bar would have to
>> be shown on the app itself.
>>

> IIRC, this type of argument is called a "Straw Man".
>
> Please look at the gnome-control-center.  The Filter "bar" isn't either
> place.  The Filter window should not be in the MenuBar.  What I said was
> that if vertical space was that important that you could consider having
> both the MenuBar and a ToolBar on the same line.

That application doesn't even have a toolbar. And I doubt that Sidebar
it has would work at all horizontally.....
And having them on the same line isn't possible w/out a hack and
breaks support for other platforms as stated previously....

> Having the Filter window in the ToolBar is problematic since it means
> that the ToolBar does not work well with a vertical orientation.  This
> could be addressed by having a separate ToolBar for the Filter window.

Don't see how that would help.

> Clearly, where to place the Filter window is an issue.  With the
> Classical Tree View, this doesn't have to be a problem since it could be
> at the top of the sidebar.

In order to be consistent between them ( icons and tree view ) it is
shown in the same place. I don't see how having the Search widget in
the toolbar is such a problem. I suppose any application with a line
edit would have this problem according to you. Konqueror, Dolphin,
etc.

>>> That sounds a whole lot like: "Windows doesn't do it this way, so
>>> neither should we". I do agree that consistency with other
>>> platforms should be a consideration, but it should not prevent KDE
>>> from improving. How many other platforms have desktops in which the
>>>  user cannot put icons of his files and most-used applications?
>>
>> It isn't. I am not aware of any platform ( GNOME, Mac or Windows )
>> which does this in its control center application....
>>
> I note that GNOME doesn't really have an application.  The GNOME Control
> Center is really just a dialog box.
>
>> Plasma has supported that for a long time... either as Folderview or
>> as general shortcuts....
>
> Please read postings before commenting.  He said _icons_of_..._files_.
> Is this feature in TRUNK?  It certainly doesn't work with KDE-4.4.  You
> can not simply place a file on the DeskTop, you much create a widget for
> it.  This means that you must first "Unlock Widgets" and the widget for
> the file is not the same as a file icon.  The file must also exist
> somewhere else, it does not have the context menu which a file icon has,
> and you can not use the widget to delete or trash the file.  When I
> create such a widget, it doesn't even have the correct icon.

Cashew > Desktop Activity Settings > Activity. Change type to Folder
View... been around for many releases now.