List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [KDE Usability] downloads in kde4
From:       yahoo-pier_andreit <pier_andreit () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2010-02-25 17:30:07

downloads in kde4
:-) I hope this be the right place where to discuss this :-)
Well using kde4 I noted this main difference with kde3 in downloads;
you start a big file (30 minutes) download from a place on the net
(smb://192.168.0.2)
in kde3 a window come up,
you minimize it,
in the taskbar you can control at a glance at which point the download
is (50% 75%..)
if you start 10 downloads like me, you have ten of this at a glance
you can maximize one and control the one that interest you at which point is
you can enlarge to read long names.

In kde4 you start a download and a popup appear
than disappear and you don't know at which point the download is
if you start 10 downloads like me the popup is huge
and boring appear 20 times when download is started and finished
you dont know at a glance at which point a single download is
you cannot enlarge or separate from the rest to read long names.

It come in my mind that something in a side panel can be placed to show
there downloading.
Vertical space is needed.
It could be an icon each download,
with an unclickable or through-clickable transparent tail,
this tail always over the screen that show the downloading progress and
the filename and so on.

Or the nearly useless top right quarter-circle icon could extend,
narrowly, towards down for each download and add an icon with tail for
each download.

This can be used also for other time-consuming operation like burn dvd,
uploading big files, download by internet integrating with browser,
updating and installing software, nepomuk...

What do you think about???

Ciao Pier