List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Close button: reaaly close or go to system tray?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-01 19:31:59

2010/2/1 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>:
> On Monday 01 February 2010 11:46:58 Jaime wrote:
>> I guess Dotan is proposing a button to minimize to the tray like winamp and
>> emule do have.
>> With the organic desktop it is (or will be) easier to know, after the X
>> button is pressed, if the window is minimized to the tray or if the
>> application is closed, but not before pressing the button.
>>
> I just can't see why anyone would need such a button, when there is already a
> configuration option to avoid using the tray icon.  And I don't buy Dotan's
> argument that users don't read notices and can't handle configurations.  If
> you are setting up an environment for such a user you do it for them.  The
> rest of us shouldn't have to endure clutter without a very good reason.
>
> An alternative solution would be that instead of Amarok popping up a notice
> that it will continue running in the system tray, it could pop up a dialog box
> asking if you want music to continue playing when the window is closed.

Better yet, just have the tray integration disabled by default. That
way Amarok behaves like any other KDE app until the user asks it to do
otherwise.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.