List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Close button: reaaly close or go to system tray?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-01 10:11:33

>> Tested only on myself, it's past 21:00 here and I'll not risk my good
>> karma at this hour! KDE SC 4.4 beta2, Amarok 2.2.1.90. The Amarok Menu
>> -> Quit menu item [closes|quits] the app as expected. The X button in
>> the window chrome minimzes to tray.
>
> Hmm, how did you configure that?

Out of the box Kubuntu 9.10 with the KDE SC 4.4 repo enabled. I did
not touch the Amarok configuration.

> I could only get tray integration permanently enabled or permanently disabled,
> not depending on state of the main window.
>
> In both cases closing worked as expected, i.e.last window closing quits
> application.

Please confirm: when you press the X button in the windows chrome,
Amarok quits, the music stops playing, and there is no tray icon?
Which Amarok version is this?

>> It seems that the problem is that there exists a difference between
>> close and quit. The X button on the chrome should either be a Close
>> button or a Quit button. It should not differ between apps.
>
> I only use a specific selection of programs so I might not have encountered
> problematic ones yet, but all I have here close the window on Close and quit
> on quit or when the last window closes.
> Consistent between all applications in use here.

Are you telling me that pressing the X button (closing) in Kate with
multiple documents open will only close one document and not quit the
application?

>> In fact, how is a user supposed to know the difference between Close
>> and Quit? In my opinion, the Close paradigm should be retired and apps
>> should just quit. Alternatively, maybe "Close" could be reserved for
>> tabs, whereas "Quit" could be reserved for applications.
>
> Hmm, tabs could help in a lot of cases but I am not sure all applications can
> be implemented in a single window paradigm (though I can currently think of
> one).

Of course my comment was only relevant for applications that actually have tabs.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.