List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] tab handling inconsistency
From:       "Peter Penz" <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2009-12-21 8:08:35

Hello Ralph,

> Dear usability team,
>
> I just documented some inconsistency ind how apps handle tabs.
> Comparing Konqueror, Dolphin & Konsole I found 3 different
> methods how to
> organize tabs.
>
> Could someone please look over
> http://userbase.kde.org/User:RalphMW/tabbing
> and possibly place it in a more appropriate place.

I did not place it to a appropriate place, but probably can give some explaination \
about the root cause:

Dolphin uses the standard Qt mechanism for tab handling (QTabWidget), which is \
available since Qt 4.4. If I remember correctly from some old mail threads: Konqueror \
uses KTabWidget, which offers a custom way for moving tabs (this was required for Qt \
versions < Qt 4.4). Konsole implemented a custom way of moving tabs since KDE 4.0 \
(4.1?).

I've added the maintainers of Konqueror and Konsole to CC (I'm not sure if my \
information is 100 % correct...)

Best regards,
Peter