List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Description of "contrast" in color scheme
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-21 20:59:09

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Friday 21 August 2009 18:31:23 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
>> The edit box, unfortunately, should I think be 0-10, not
>> percentages, since that is what the underlying implementation is.
>> It would take a bunch of code to translate, but more importantly I
>> don't want the question "why can't I set it to 45%?". (Plus... what
>> is "100%"?)
>
> That was just a rough idea, my point is, currently the contrast is set
> to... some point on that horizontal line. That's bad -- it does not
> show value, scale, grid, whatever, nothing. Just a knob and the line.

Well... yes. I could add "minimum" and "maximum" labels easily enough,
but I don't see that the number has any inherent meaning to the user.
What does "4" mean? What does "0" mean when it *doesn't* mean "none"?
Aren't arbitrary meaningless numbers /also/ bad usability?

>> How would you feel about this?:
>>
>>        Shading (Frames and "3D" lighting effects)
>>
>> Contrast   ----------#-------------------------------
>
> 100% explanatory, I like it.
>
>> TBH I'd still feel better with the parenthetical part in a tooltip.
>
> I put it in those words -- UI should be self-explanatory, if it is not
> possible, use tooltip (but not sooner). If still not possible, write
> help (but not sooner).
>
> Here it has no purpose to exist, because it is possible to provide
> clear UI.
>
> In what sense? I like tooltips for toolbar buttons, they are useful
> per definition. But in system as whole, all those flying object

So... if the groupbox said "shading" and had "Frames and '3D' lighting
effects" in a tooltip, would that be okay? I am seriously concerned
about putting all of it as the group title when it gets translated into,
say, German (or any language with really long words)...

--
Matthew
Thank you for reading all the way to this .sig. You may stop reading