List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Review Request: --hard_coded_colors in kalarm
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-08-14 10:23:32

On Friday 14 August 2009 08:23, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Thu, August 13, 2009 5:43 pm, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > David Jarvie wrote:
> >> I would be very reluctant to clutter the interface by adding another
> >> column.
> >> There are after all only 3 statuses, so it won't take a user long to
> >> learn what the colours mean
> >
> > You are assuming here that the user has color vision :-). As I
> > understand it, using only color is bed because some users may have total
> > color blindness. Rare, sure, but even limited color blindness may make
> > it difficult to differentiate based on color, and that's /common/ (IIRC
> > 5% or more of the population).
>
> When only 3 colours are needed, even a completely colour blind person
> should be able to distinguish between suitably chosen ones - if they
> appeared as black, mid grey and light grey.

The point is, kalarm is only providing one feedback channel, where
accessibility advocates multi-channel. The attention icon (!) could be more
informative, for example.

If kalarm is using unusual textual representation (such as archive), I suggest
a mapping of kalarm's textual representation to the standard. A disabled
alarm, for example, does not require a disabled text colour. Either/both
colour/s can be changed.

Or, take a base colour (from the current scheme) and generate two contrasting
colours from it. Since archive and disabled are not represented in the
standard scheme, there is a strong case for creating your own, but relative,
rather than absolute.

Regards,

Peter