List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Review Request: --hard_coded_colors in kalarm
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-12 17:49:19

David Jarvie wrote:
> The fact that the *default* KDE colour scheme has this problem means that
> some alternative has to be found. I'm not convinced by the argument that
> it has to be semantically the right colour if that means that people can't
> readily distinguish between the two statuses.

Is it really *that* important? Both are inactive alarms for one reason
or another.

There is also the matter (should have remembered this sooner, sorry)
that using only color to convey information is considered bad form. If
the status is that important, there should be a column that says the status.

> I prefer usability in KAlarm's very limited colour scheme over
> semantic correctness.

But if you use, say, NegativeText, then the first thing that says to the
user is "there is something wrong with this alarm". If you use
ActiveText, then you are saying that archived alarms are more important
than active alarms (an alternative could be to use ActiveText or
PositiveText for current alarms, but now that probably needs to be
configurable also, plus that seems... excessive).

That leaves PositiveText, LinkText and NeutralText, the last of which I
feel confident you will make the same complaint. LinkText semantically
implies "new" rather than "old". I suppose you could argue that an
archived alarm is one that went off == good == PositiveText, but IMO
that's a stretch.

Using NegativeText for disabled might work, but again a disabled alarm
isn't "broken", and that's what NegativeText indicates.

 From a semantic perspective, VisitedText is clearly the most
appropriate; NeutralText or InactiveText would also be okay, but
NeutralText isn't going to jump out substantially more (maybe even
less), and to use InactiveText you would have to use something else for
disabled, and InactiveText is a clear semantic match for disabled.
Anything else (except LinkText which would be merely strange)
immediately conveys a wrong message to the user.

Apparently the question is, do we want to confuse the user by telling
them something that is wrong, or by making it a little harder to be sure
what we are telling them?

Personally I vote for VisitedText plus adding a status column.

--
Matthew
ESIG: .sig file not available