List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ark: extract and quick extract
From:       Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-18 19:18:24

2009/7/18 Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl>:
> On Saturday 18 July 2009 19:47:02 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>
>> How about the following:
>>
>> * Two different actions, "Quick extract" and "Extract", the latter
>> showing the usual extraction dialog.
>>
>> * "Quick extract", on the other hand, tries to extract to the
>> archive's directory. It only shows a popup message if something
>> went wrong,
>
> and otherwise just a label in status bar "operation successful"
> (reason: visual feedback is a must in all cases).
This is a very nice idea. Currently there's no feedback in the status
bar. I've added it to our plans over
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Utils/Ark and when I give it more
attention I'll add it to our feature plan :)

>> However, with "quick extract" the user won't be able to choose
>> whether she wants to preserve paths
>
> What does it mean?
If you don't preserve paths, all files will be extracted to one single
place. That is, if you have "foo", "folder/bar" and
"other_folder/bar/baz" in your archive, "foo", "bar" and "baz" will be
extracted to one single folder.

>> or open the destination folder
>> after the extraction.
>
> Why not?
> a) there could be an option
> [ ] auto open folder after extraction
You mean an item under the Settings menu, like we currently have "Show
statusbar"? In this case, there'd be duplication of the option in the
extraction dialog.

> b) there could be a button in toolbar or status bar (similar to KMail)
> which opens the folder
>
>> These can be done only via the extraction
>> dialog.
>
> The above can be used with regular extract too. And the icon next
> to "unpacking successful" is useful, because it ties the context -->
> operation successful, what next, maybe showing the content, ok, it is
> right there.
I didn't understand this part.