List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Looking for feedback on search UI concept.
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-07-08 19:06:34

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 18:23:48 Diego Moya wrote:

> Show results in three areas/groups:
>
> a) Current folder
> b) Subfolders of current folder - excluding a)
> c) The rest of the computer - excluding a) and b)

I am not a weekend-user but even I would be tired from the start --
why I cannot filter them and get rid off unwanted info? Why do I have
to "correct" the output.

Why do I have those on my screen, when I know I don't want them?

And why /home/joe/Images put within (b) with all other directories, in
one big mess, when (a) and (b), completely unrelated for my current
search are shown in "nice" order?

> > You put the current folder hits on top, not most relevant.
>
> Search engines can't show the most relevant result first, because
> they can't know user intent.

Exactly. So let's get back to design:
* you can limit search by WHEN
* you can limit search by WHAT
* you can limit search by SIZE
* you can limit ...

_but_
* you cannot limit search by WHERE

a) logic?
b) I suspect there has to be some benefit for user for not allowing
him/her limiting the search by placement

So what is this benefit?

And the most crucial part -- Diego, what does "search" mean? Narrowing
information? Right -- but John and you propose to make a search that
is broken by design, because it extend the information. So it is
contradiction to its purpose at very basic level.

Cheers,