List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: NWI: metaphor needed?
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-07-08 4:59:48

On Monday 06 July 2009 21:57, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Diego Moya wrote:
> > 2009/7/6 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Humane_Interface
> > Canon Cat: Implemented and commercially sold *in 1987*.
> > Nothing new under the sun.
>
> For what it's worth, I disagree with at least the "monotony of design"
> principle. Sounds to me like a great way to be either inflexible,
> inefficient, or difficult-to-learn (or some combination thereof).

If I understand the Canon Cat correctly, it is written in Forth. This is a
language that includes a compiler, interpreter, and input loop. Apps are
replaced with a dictionary of words. 'email' is a word that will allow you to
send and receive email. Users can freely edit the dictionary, creating,
changing, and removing words. The 'system' is also created from words in the
dictionary, so users can change those words and hence the way the system
works. This is the monotony of _design_.

Everything is based on the ability to create, edit, remove, and execute words
(functions) in the dictionary, there is no 'system', 'application', or user
interface, only 'words' (commands). Since the compiler, interpreter, and
input loop are also 'words', you can change them, too! All changes are
immediately stored and survive reboots.

However, this is not a GUI that allows you to pipe data through apps.

Regards,

Peter