List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: NWI: metaphor needed?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-07-06 20:48:51

Peter wrote:
> It seems KDE developers are slowly grasping the fact that tasks often require
> functionality from different applications. Their solution is to provide a
> meta-application which contains all the necessary apps. The meta-application
> manages the real applications, so users can layout the apps as a single
> application.
>
> What we really want [...]

...requires a level of IPC that I don't think anyone is even
/contemplating/ yet.

 From a technical standpoint, I think that NWI is achievable right now,
it just needs someone to do the work (which I wish I had time for :-(,
alas). While I'm not opposed to the level of dreaming that is happening
in this thread, I think NWI is ambitious enough as-is, without trying to
make it something so far advanced that it will never come to fruition.

I have, unfortunately, been down that road before. It leads to much
dreaming and ultimate disappointment.

Besides, I think you are putting the cart before the horse; NWI will
help get things moving to where we /can/ start dismantling apps into
smaller pieces, without losing functionality or having to work on
something that is a long way off.

> The problem is that the NWI does not address the task issue, but application
> management - how to keep apps together. The moment we shift from managing
> apps to dedicated utilities, these issues vanish because we are now looking
> at user-apps, which survive sessions in the same way normal apps do.

...poorly? ;-)

Again, SM is a different topic from NWI, but IMO it's a harder problem.
Right now we have a hodgepodge of SM techniques, that work to varying
degrees of reliability. Very little is integrated cross-desktop.

What I like about NWI is that it is desktop agnostic. The goal is a
single utility that will handle /all/ views (windows) as far as layout
and presentation. It's a problem that needs to be solved regardless as
long as we retain the W in WIMP interface.

> A toolbox won't replace apps, but it will enable users to intergrate them into
> tasks and the latest technologies can be added as new tools. If NWI is used
> as a framework to create user defined apps, it will do for the GUI what
> KParts did for the desktop.

That's the most sensible thing I've seen in the previous message :-).
And... yes, that's much more what I'm thinking NWI should be doing.

--
Matthew
It is training and experience that gives us the ability to abstract