List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Looking for feedback on search UI concept.
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-05 20:35:14

2009/7/5 Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl>:
> On Saturday 04 July 2009 21:36:07 Adam Kidder wrote:
>> One thing I'm unsure about - if a calendar widget is used by
>> default to search for dates, are relative dates still necessary?
>> so, how should they be entered while still allowing for a calender
>> widget?
> Switching calendar dialog to relative mode. And edit box... nothing
> elegant comes to my mind -- either user enters date by hand in form
>
> or.... a button-switch near the editbox?

Modes for data entry are confusing. Why not having two side-by-side
entries, allowing the user to select the preferred one:
- a combo box with free-form text entry. The drop-down list shows
relative dates (today, yesterday, last week...)
- besides it, a calendar widget. Selecting something in the calendar
writes a correctly formatted date in the combo box.