List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: NWI: metaphor needed?
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-07-03 0:52:28

On Thursday 02 July 2009 23:06, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 00:23, Peter<gostelow@global.co.za> wrote:
> > You're right, I never thought of plasma. The problem with plasma is that
> > it is developer oriented - you have to write the code. I'd prefer KDE
> > write a plasma library that does standard KDE desktop activities, so
> > users can throw them into a NWI, connect them up (perhaps via dbus), and
> > save it as a program. Then yes, making the word substitutions would be
> > appropriate.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> the end user will not have to write any code with plasma. He can just
> select his desired functionality from a huge array of available
> applets.

That's good, it breaks the app dependency issues. I see two broad types of
plasma: user written that do specific tasks, and standard tools that do one
thing well. We need both. The core plasma should be provided with KDE for
users to manage KDE oriented tasks, while the rest can be accessed as
required. The purpose of KDE plasma is to provide complete functionality
within the scope of its metaphor, well engineered, and intergrated into KDE
itself. User plasma can vary widely in reliability and cohesion, which is
perfectly acceptable.

> So far the number of plasmoids is still rather limited, but other
> widget systems are or will be integrated, so you can also select from
> thousands of apple's dashboard widgets or google gadgets in plasma.
> But the goal is to make writing plasmoids really easy to help grow the
> ecosystem of available plasmoids.

I'm rather conservative, give me a few good tools that let me do what I want
and I won't look for more. The UNIX toolbox has about 250+ utilities and I
only use about 20 90% of the time. Something similar in KDE is all I ask:)

> The fact that one can write them in
> javascript will surely help in this regard. Combined with plasmate,
> the plasmoid editor, this allows basically everyone who has created a
> webpage to also develop plasma widgets.

I agree, although it's not quite the same as combining plasmoids/apps, but is
much better than nothing at all. If the javascript can create data paths and
work flow, then we have arrived.

> If plasma can deliver on these promises it will solve the problems you
> mentioned and furthermore help kde to remain relevant even after the
> "desktop". NWI not so much.

Honestly, I see a discontinuity between the direction plasma and NWI are
heading. Plasma are mini-apps, while NWI are meta-apps, but the integration
between them is missing. We now have applets, apps, and meta-apps, but no
glue users can apply to bind them together. The question is, 'How can users
combine/lever KDE technologies into user defined tasks and work flow?' You
know my answer ;) what's yours?

Regards,

Peter